Rose bushes are a worthy decoration for any garden. I love growing roses, they add colour to the site and fill the garden with a unique scent. However, diseases and pests of garden roses can ruin all the work done to grow these beautiful flowers. I will tell you what kind of care the plants need and how to fight diseases of roses. The photo below shows some types of Rose bush diseases and pests of roses.
Table of Contents
- pests of roses and means of controlling them
- Diseases of roses and their treatment
- How to protect your Roses
pests of roses and means of controlling them
pests of roses can cause the greatest damage at the beginning of the growing season, when young buds and leaves of roses appear. They become food for larvae and adults.
- aphids on roses, whether pink or green, multiply very quickly, creating dense colonies on the underside of the leaves of roses. Aphids on roses feed on plant sap, the leaves wither, and the buds are deformed and do not open. A rose affected by aphids tolerates winter worse. The presence of aphids on roses can be determined by the increased number of ants; they feed on the sweet juice extracted by the aphids from the roses plant. To protect the Rose bushes – in the spring, before the buds swell, treat the bushes with rose insecticides such as (Karbofos, Actellik).
- Rose leafhoppers are common rose pests. In autumn, the female lays eggs, from which larvae hatch in spring and settle on the underside of the leaf. These rose Insects also feed on plant sap. As a result, the leaves of roses become covered with white spots, acquiring a marble pattern. To get rid of leafhoppers causing white spots on roses, it is recommended to treat plants with rose insecticides in two stages, with a difference of 15 days with the capture of the adjacent territory.
- One of the most dangerous pests of roses is the spider mite. It is a microscopic gray-green insect that can only be detected with a magnifying glass. It settles and multiplies on the underside of the leaf, drinks the juice from the rose plant. White bites appear on the leaves of roses, the greens turn yellow and wither. spider mite on roses entangle the captured territory with cobwebs, hence their name. In the bushes of roses grown in the greenhouse, this pest lives year-round. Collect and burn infected leaves of roses regularly. Fitoverm or Actellik solution will help get rid of the spider mite on roses.
Diseases of roses and their treatment
It should be noted that the same diseases of roses are characteristic of both, the climbing rose, and the bush rose.
- Rose Powdery mildew is a disease that manifests itself most often in the second half of summer. With an excess of nitrogen in the soil, this Disease of roses progresses faster. First, Yellow spots on the roses appear, a bloom of a dirty gray color of roses leaves. Then it spreads, the leaves and shoots bend and die. To treat Rose Powdery mildew, spray periodically with a copper-soap solution or sulfur-containing preparations.
- If the plant is damaged, including frost, there is a high risk of developing a “burn” of the shoots. Then Black Spots on Roses flowers appears, The emerging black spots on the shoots can lead to the death of the plant. Treatment of Black Spots on Roses consists in spraying the bushes with Bordeaux liquid and in a number of preventive measures to prepare the plants for wintering and the flowering season.
- Roses Rust is a fungal disease of rose leaves. Rusty spots appear on the leaves of roses and shoots, and fungal spores accumulate on the underside of the leaf. The winter hardiness of the plant is violated, decorativeness decreases. The disease is treated with a solution of Bordeaux liquid.
- In a rainy, cold summer, gray rot develops on the bushes. Like previous Diseases of roses, this disease affects leaves, shoots and buds. Affected leaves turn yellow, buds wither, rot and become moldy. When the first symptoms appear, roses need to create as dry conditions as possible. Manganese fertilizers will also be helpful.
- Diseases and pests of the apple tree 2020
- What is mulching? Why, When & How to Do it!
- Seasonal tree and garden treatment 2020
- Which mineral wool is better for home insulation?
How to protect your Roses
We have learned how to spray roses from pests and diseases that have begun. Not the last place in the struggle for a blooming garden is played by the prevention of infections. Plant the “right” plants next to rose bushes, their neighbourhood can be useful for roses. For example, lavender repels aphids, calendula and marigolds – ticks and beetles. Garlic growing nearby will protect the flowers from fungal and viral diseases. Also, not all insects are harmful. Ladybugs successfully deal with aphid colonies and spider mites. Lace-worms feed on sap-sucking pests. And predatory mites will rid the garden of herbivorous mites.
The treatment of roses from pests and diseases is carried out not only with the help of chemicals. For most ailments, there are folk remedies. Decoction of nettle, burdock, fresh infusion of onions, dandelions, wormwood, tobacco, garlic – all these herbs and plants will help your garden to smell fragrant all season!