Most people associate summer with agricultural work, pleasant pastime and, of course, annoying insects / insect bites. Do you know what unpleasant surprises these seemingly harmless creatures are fraught with, and how to make sure that your rest is not interfered with by the neighborhood with insects or bad mosquito bites?
In today’s article, we will discuss the question of how to protect your home from the attack of insects, and yourself from insect bites, and enjoy outdoor recreation.
Table of Contents
- Why Insect Bites Are Dangerous?
- Means of Protection For Summer Cottages From Insects
- Alternative Ways To Protect The Site From Insects?
Why Insect Bites Are Dangerous?
Each of us has come across insect bites more than once. Mosquitoes, midges, horseflies, wasps, bees, bumblebees, hornets, ticks, and even some types of beetles – contact with them leads to various consequences: from harmless redness and itching to anaphylactic shock. But first things first.
- Most often we are faced with midge and mosquito bites. The most common reactions to their bite will be induration, redness, and itching. But if the mosquito does not pose a danger to an adult, then the infant can be seriously injured. This is especially true for bites on the face, as well as multiple body bites. So, after a mosquito bite, a child may develop severe edema, in which case you will have to consult a doctor for help. It is also easy to infect the wound when scratching the blisters, which can lead to unpleasant consequences.
- As for the midges bites, almost all summer residents also have to deal with them. Midges usually leave a fairly strong swelling on the human body, which is accompanied by severe redness, burning and itching. In the case of a midge bite, there is also a high probability of infection through the wound, so do not forget to treat the bite site with an alcohol-containing liquid, and applying cold can be advised to relieve swelling.
- Wasps, bees and hornets usually do not attack a person unless they feel threatened by him. However, they are attracted by bright clothes, strong aromas, sweet foods and drinks. Wasps and hornets often nest in the ground, so if you like to walk barefoot make sure it’s safe in your area. And if the wasp, hornet and bumblebee simply sting, then after meeting with the bee, the wound must first of all be cleaned of the sting. Nevertheless, after a bee sting, nothing threatens you, except for local discomfort, but the wasp venom quickly enough enters the human bloodstream and can lead to significant ailments.
- What else is important to know about these insect bites? If you do not have individual intolerance, then all the unpleasant consequences will pass quickly enough with proper wound care. Fear is a bite in the mucous membranes, throat, eye area, as well as multiple bites. In these cases, as in the case of individual intolerance, serious consequences can arise – from extensive edema to death from anaphylactic shock.
- I would also like to dwell on tick bites. Ticks can carry very dangerous diseases, and yet many people do not take their bites seriously. Redness, soreness and compaction at the site of the tick bite is not manifested in everyone, so it is often possible not to notice at all that such a dangerous contact took place. In addition to external manifestations, a tick bite can provoke dizziness, nausea and vomiting, fever, shortness of breath, weakness, edema and even paralysis. A timely visit to a doctor greatly reduces the risks of contracting a particular disease.
Means of Protection For Summer Cottages From Insects
So how do you protect yourself and your loved ones from insect bites?
The most popular, it is also the simplest and fastest way, is the use of various chemicals and insecticides. They are easy to use, inexpensive, and effective, albeit short-lived.
Insect creams and lotions are applied directly to the skin, and sprays can even be sprayed onto clothing.
Fumigators – plates, liquids and spirals – emit toxic fumes when heated. It is important that fumigators are operated in ventilated or open areas. These products can also be used to protect children, if indicated on the packaging. However, they should be avoided by pregnant and lactating women and infants, as well as cold-blooded animals. For aquarium fish, snails and terrarium dwellers, fumigators pose a serious danger at all. I also recommend moving bird cages out of the fumigator room.
Alternative Ways To Protect The Site From Insects?
Everything would be fine, but not everyone willingly uses chemistry to get rid of insects. In addition, there is always a risk of allergy to any component of such “protection”. Then alternative ways of dealing with insects come to the rescue.
- Mosquito net. Mosquito nets in various sizes and configurations for windows and doorways can be found on sale, with locks or magnets.
- Ultrasonic scarers that run on mains or batteries are another popular way to combat annoying insects. The principle of operation of such devices is based on the emission of ultrasound of a certain frequency, which repels insects. Such devices do not have any effect on a person.
- Various traps and baits can also be found on sale today.
- Another way to protect against insects on the site is to grow special varieties of plants. This is the most environmentally friendly and safest way to control insects.
What plants will save you from annoying neighbors?
- essential oils: cloves, mint, fennel, coriander, thyme, tansy, wormwood, bird cherry, etc. The essential oils contained in these crops scare away and disorient mosquitoes and midges in space, and some of them are even able to scare away ticks.
- ornamental and vegetable crops: mustard, castor oil plant, carrots, onions, garlic, parsley, basil, etc.
- floral plants: marigolds, calendula, geraniums, lavender, chrysanthemum, nasturtium, etc. These crops are quite popular among summer residents, because in addition to useful repellent properties, they also perform a decorative function.
I would also like to note that repellent plants not only scare away biting insects, but also perfectly protect the crop from aphids, slugs and other pests. Thus, planting them is an environmentally friendly and safe way to control insects.
As you can see, there are many ways to combat insects on the site. If you are tired of the unpleasant neighborhood with annoying blood-sucking animals and want to enjoy your vacation or calmly work in the garden, instead of eliminating the consequences of their bites, choose the most acceptable and safe way to get rid of insects for you and spend your summer in comfort.