Are you confused between flying termites vs flying ants?. You don’t know whether your home is raided with flying ants or termites then you are at right place to know difference between flying termites vs flying ants. We had already discussed about types of termites and will discuss here difference in flying ants vs termites and common FAQ / Question related to them.
Termites Perhaps the most destructive force, your home could encounter. If you do not take steps to protect your residence from the infestation, you could face hundreds to thousands of dollars’ worth of damage.
If you’re not totally familiar with the winged ants vs termites, here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
Table of Contents
- How can I tell difference between flying Termites vs Flying ants sometimes they look the same?
- How long the termites live and why do some have wings?
- Do termites actually consume wood and can they go through concrete?
- What are the chances I will get termites if neighbors have them?
- What To Do to Prevent termites infestation?
How can I tell difference between flying Termites vs Flying ants sometimes they look the same?
Flying termites and ants may look similar but they’re anything but
- Body Size & Shape: Termites are of Broad waist but Ants are pinched and have discernible segmented bodies.
- Wings: The wings of termites before they lose them when they go underground are equal size and shape, but the wings of ants are of different sizes and shapes.
- Colour of Bodies: Once a flying termites lose their wings their bodies can easily be seen less than a quarter of an inch in length with soft light colored bodies ants are typically colored and have 3 distinct body parts.
How long the termites live and why do some have wings?
A queen termite can live for several decades (approximately 50 years) while the worker termites can live up to 2 years. The winged termites, swarms and need to fly from their nest to other areas with the plan to feed and definitely, when They need to burrow in the soil to get their food source, they lose their wings for good and concentrate on building a colony.
They cannot tunnel into the ground would or create mud tunnels that extend from the ground into their food source with wings.
Do termites actually consume wood and can they go through concrete?
Termites eat any cellulose based product which just happens to be the main ingredient wood. The microbes that live within the termites bellies have the ability to digest cellulose which can also be found in other wood products like paper and cardboard.
As for concrete termites cannot penetrate it however it often appears that way because they can squeeze into the tightest places often 130 cm to 160 fourth of an inch. For slab homes even the smallest cracks especially around plumbing fixtures are invitation to squeeze in and find wood sources for food.
What are the chances I will get termites if neighbors have them?
Subterranean termites can burrow extensively underground so if your neighbor had them and got treated the termites could easily pick up stakes and reestablish themselves in your yard or others.
What To Do to Prevent termites infestation?
The best defense is a good offense. When you first move into your home have it inspected and treated for termites and continue with regular maintenance plan plus if your neighbor gets termites make sure their home and your gets treated too.
When they have nowhere to go they will eventually die out. If you live in an apartment you should look for pest and termites control companies that specialize in multiple dwelling buildings. Better yet bring the termites and pest problem to the attention of your management company. they have to take care of problems like pest it should be part of if you at least or you can use our guide to get rid of termites by yourself.
Let us Know about your questions and suggestion in the comment below and share this article with your loved ones so they can also be able to identify difference between termites vs flying ants!